Residents of Pocatello and Chubbuck
Thinking about upgrading your wood stove?
Financial incentives make upgrading your wood stove a smart move!
You may qualify for:
- $500 rebate on a new wood stove or other qualified unit
- Additional 10% discount on the cost of the new wood stove or other qualified unit
- Deduction on your Idaho tax return
What you need to do:
- Determine if the wood stove or fireplace insert you currently own is non-certified.
If your operable wood stove is more than 15 years old, it is probably not certified. Look for an informational sticker on the upper corner on the back of the stove. No sticker means it is not EPA-certified. For more information, visit www.deq. idaho.gov/air-quality/burning/wood-stoves/epacertification.aspx.
- Go to the Pocatello Region DEQ Office and get the Woodstove Changeout Application – Proof of Residence Form.
A city utility bill required for proof of residence*.
- Purchase an EPA-certified wood stove or other qualified unit from an Nick’s Fireplace Outfitters,
and along with the disposal receipt, receive a $500 rebate and 10% discount (pending available funding)**.
- Remove the non-certified wood stove or fireplace insert from your home and dispose at Pacific Recycling.
Nick’s Fireplace Outfitters in PocatelloKeep the disposal receipt. Pacific Recycling will provide you with an Old Woodstove Replacement Receipt verifying that the old stove or insert was destroyed and can no longer be used. Fill out the receipt completely. This receipt verifies to the Idaho Tax Commission that your wood stove replacement qualifies for the Alternate Energy Device deduction. Claim the deduction on your Idaho tax return (requires receipt). For more information, visit www.deq.idaho.gov/air-quality/burning/woodstoves/replacements-and-tax-deductions/
- Properly install the new EPA-certified unit.
The EPA-certified wood stove or other qualified unit must be installed in compliance with all applicable city and county codes and regulations. The experience installers at Nick’s Fireplace Outfitters can take care of this for you.
- Submit copies of all required paperwork for final eligibility.
*Only State of Idaho residents living in the Cities of Pocatello or Chubbuck may participate.
**Important! The rebate and discount are offered on a first-come. first-served basis. Funding is limited.
Questions about the change-out program?
Contact Melissa Gibbs,Air Quality Manager
Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
Pocatello Regional Office
444 Hospital Way
#300 Pocatello, ID 83201